Application for Graduate Study
Completion Options for Application
Complete an application online:
- Applications may be completed online. There is a $65 fee for applications which must be paid by credit card.
We begin making admission and funding decisions at the start of January. We need your COMPLETE admissions packet AND your fellowship/assistantship application materials in time to consider you for possible sources of funding.
We continue to accept applications until March 1st. However, applications received after will not be eligible for most potential sources of funding.
The Graduate School offers several fellowships and assistantships, with varying eligibility requirements. We encourage all applicants to examine the Fellowship descriptions for: Fellowship, Masters Fellowship, Graduate Dean’s Fellowship, and PROMPT Assistantship. If you believe you are eligible for any of these, you should fill out the preliminary fellowship/assistantship application forms, and send them to Anthropology by December 15. Our decision on admission is independent of whether you apply for one of these fellowships or assistantships.
Students are normally admitted to begin only in fall semester. Rare exceptions can be made for doctoral students.
Applicants must meet all Graduate School requirements for entry, and must fill out the online application. Also, please upload the following documents to the online graduate application or you may send them directly to Anthropology, addressed to: Graduate Secretary, Anthropology - Mailcode 4502, 1000 Faner Dr., Room 3527, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale IL 62901. If you do not have the (free) Adobe Reader program required to view and print many of these files, Adobe Reader is available here.
- Anthropology application for financial aid form
- Certified copies of all transcripts*
- Three letters of recommendation
- A statement of academic and professional goals
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores, required for all U.S. applicants and strongly recommended for international applicants
- Writing Sample
- A two-page personal statement indicating your professional experience, professional interest, academic achievements, honors, awards, publications, and extracurricular activities.
*Every applicant must have an official transcript sent directly to Anthropology from every undergraduate and graduate institution where courses have been taken.
Additional Requirements for International Students (see also International Programs and Services)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for international applicants whose native language is not English*
- Financial Statement for Graduate International Students may be required by the Graduate School
- Please read the Graduate School instructions for international applicants. Applicants must include a photocopy of your passport with your application, and the name on your application must match the name on the passport.
*Applicants whose native language is not English must achieve a TOEFL score of 600 or higher (paper version), 250 or higher (computer-based version), or 100 or higher (internet exam) in order to gain admittance in the program. The minimum IELTS score is 7.
All necessary forms will be provided to applicants by Anthropology. No special program or previous work is required. Applicants with academic degrees in fields other than anthropology are encouraged to apply.