Photo above: SIU Theater production of The Three Musketeers, technical direction by Jake Josef (MFA, Technical Direction 2014), currently Technical Director at Phillips Academy.
Thank you for your interest in our MFA Design and Production (Emphasis Technical Direction) program here at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. The MFA Design is a three-year sequence that includes courses in all areas of design as well as numerous electives with multiple realized design/production opportunities.
- Automation now at SIU
- Creative Conners & ZFX Automation equipment
- 4+ axis of movement
- Integrates with current motors & pneumatics
- Many production opportunities
- Average of 2 realized productions per year
- Design opportunities also available to TDs
- Graduates enter the workforce with a full portfolio of experience
- MFA Thesis Production is a realized project
- Written component demonstrates mastery of research, analysis, process, and evaluative skills
- Department involvement with national conferences at SETC and USITT
- Graduate Assistantships available
- Opportunities to teach available
- Summer employment opportunities
- McLeod Summer Playhouse is our own resident professional theater company
- Professional Contacts at Cirque du Soleil, Glimmerglass Opera, The Guthrie Theater, Hall & Associates, and more!