Admissions & Application
The Department of Psychology offers doctoral (Ph.D.) degrees in four areas:
- Applied Psychology
- Brain & Cognitive Sciences
- Clinical Psychology (adult and child specializations)
- Counseling Psychology (not accepting applications for Fall, 2022 Admissions)
We do not offer terminal master's degrees in these areas, although students earn an M.A. en route to the Ph.D. Most of our students enter with a B.A. or B.S. degree, but we do sometimes admit students with master's degrees. All of our doctoral programs involve a full-time course of on-campus study. We do not offer online degrees at this time.
We do offer an accelerated master's in Applied Psychology only. This program is intended for our own Psychology Undergraduates to complete a fifth year after earning a bachelor's degree. This is a non-thesis program resulting in an M.S. degree. The web page for this program is still under construction.
For additional application information; or more information on the accelerated master's in Applied Psychology, please email email@example.com.
For questions about specific programs, please contact the director of the program:
- Applied Psychology: Dr. Yueh-Ting Lee
- Brain & Cognitive Sciences: Dr. Michael Hylin
- Clinical Psychology: Dr. Mary Louise Cashel
- Counseling Psychology: Dr. Kathleen Chwalisz
All faculty will be accepting new students for Fall 2022.
Applications are accepted once a year for Fall admission. All materials (i.e., letters of recommendation, etc.) must be received by the application deadline.
Application deadlines for Fall 2022 admission are as follows:
Clinical: December 1, 2021
Applied, BAT and BCS Programs: February 1, 2022
Note: To be considered for fellowship opportunities, we recommend that you complete your application before December 1.
How to Apply
To apply, go to the SIU Graduate School website. Application and the following supporting materials may be submitted online.
- Application form
- Personal Statement*
- Summary of Research/Professional Experience (Research interests)
- Résumé / CV
- Three letters of recommendation
- Unofficial transcripts
- $65 application fee (paid by credit card to SIU Graduate School). Fee waivers are available for McNair and Fulbright Scholars. Please contact the Graduate Admissions Coordinator for more information.
*If you would like to be considered for fellowships awarded to underserved populations, please clearly indicate this in your Personal Statement. Be sure to include specific information regarding your financial need.
†GRE NOTICE: The only program that requires the GRE Exam is the Psychology BAT PhD program. (Clinical, Applied, and BCS do not require the GRE.)
If you choose to include your GRE score in your application, it must be mailed directly to the School of Psychological and Behavioral Sciences (address on left):
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores (typically take 2-3 business weeks to arrive after processing)
- Advanced Psychology GRE score (preferred, not required)
- School Code: 1726