Political Science Student Ambassadors
Political Science Student Ambassadors are undergraduate political science majors involved in outreach activities on behalf of the Department of Political Science. Ambassadors are engaged in a variety of activities from contacting prospective students to meeting with nationally known scholars and political figures that come to SIU Carbondale.
During recent years, Ambassadors served as facilitators for Youth Government Day sponsored by the Public Policy Institute (featuring former Governor Jim Edgar), met with former Senator Carol Moseley-Braun, helped with COLA Alumni Day, met with State Treasurer Judy Baar Topinka, and developed two new programs. The Ambassadors have designed a newsletter for our majors and faculty that debuted in Fall 2000.
Program Requirements and Nomination Information
- A minimum GPA of 3.25
- The applicant must be enrolled in the Political Science Department at Southern Illinois University for at least one semester before applying for the position.
Each semester, faculty members are asked to nominate students for the program. In addition, students interested in serving as Ambassadors may nominate themselves by contacting Professor Stephen Bloom.
- Candidates should demonstrate good communications skills and a knowledge of the University and Department.
- To act as responsible representatives of Southern Illinois University and the Political Science Department at both on and off campus events.
- To provide support for recruitment of Political Science students to SIU.
- To assist with special events and departmental functions.
- To attend meetings with campus visitors.
- Student ambassadors have the opportunity to build a close association with many faculty and staff members.
- Ambassadors are given the opportunity to meet nationally known political figures and academics who visit SIU.
- The ambassador program provides excellent experience in public relations and public speaking.
- Students may earn one credit hour of POLS 396 for participation.
If you still have questions, email Dr. Ken Mulligan.