The MPA program gives preference to students with undergraduate grade point averages of at least 3.0. In-service applicants with strong professional experience may be admitted with grade point averages below 3.0 in some cases. Admission decisions are made by the MPA Director with the advice of the MPA Faculty for students who submit complete applications by the submission deadlines given below. Applications will be ranked for the purpose of final admissions decisions. The number of students admitted to the program for a given semester will be determined by program capacity and enrollment. Students must also be admitted to the Graduate School.
Applications completed after the stated deadlines will be only be reviewed if space becomes available.
March 1 - Summer and Fall Admission
* Applicants interested in being considered for graduate assistantships must have a complete application turned in by the February 1st deadline (including valid GRE scores) and must indicate interest in the assistantship/fellowship on the application.
June 1 - for all other applicants
December 1 - Spring Admission
The application form may be obtained by clicking on the appropriate links below. If you have difficulty obtaining the forms, please contact the Graduate School.
A complete application to the MPA Program consists of:
- The Online Application for Admission to the Graduate School (including $65.00 application fee)
- Statement of Purpose - Explain why you believe the MPA Program will help you attain your career goals.
- Three recommendations
- A 3-15 page writing sample. If you recently or will soon graduate, submit a copy of paper written as an assignment for a university course. If you have worked full-time for more than 2 years, submit a copy of a document prepared for your place of employment. Redacting sensitive information is required.
- Official transcripts from ALL institutions attended*
- Valid GRE scores** (for students in one of the following categories)
- Applicants with a grade point average below 3.0 are required to submit a valid GRE score.
- Applicants wishing to be considered for a Graduate Assistantship or Fellowship are required to submit a valid GRE score.
- If submitted, GRE scores may weigh favorably in the ranking of applicants with grade point averages of 3.0 or higher.
- An official TOEFL report and a financial statement (only for International students) and a copy of passport
*Note: Transcripts are not official unless they are sent directly by the university's registrar.
**Note: To ensure that your GRE scores are sent to the MPA Program without delay, please enter the following codes when registering for the exam. Institution Code: 1726 (Southern Illinois University Carbondale) and Major/Field Code: 4801 (Public Administration). For more information regarding the GRE or to register for the exam, please visit: www.ets.org
Additional information/materials for international students:
The MPA Program follows the TOEFL and IELTS score requirements established by the Southern Illinois University Graduate School.
All application materials must be uploaded as attachments when completing the online application.
If you have any questions concerning the application process, please contact Randall Davis, the MPA Program Director, at email@example.com.