Mission and Goals
School of Music Mission
School of Music Mission The School of Music is dedicated to the pursuit of excellence through the development of an art which enables the individual to find meaning and fulfillment as an educated member of society, as an expressive human being, and as an artist. This mission is primarily fulfilled by providing educational opportunities which prepare students for graduation with Bachelor’s or Master’s degrees and careers in music or music-related fields. The School of Music strives to advance the art of music by promoting the research/creative activities of its students and faculty. It also seeks to enrich the lives of all members of the University and the region by means of a continuing program of concerts, educational offerings, scholarly/artistic exchanges, and outreach programs.
School of Music Goals
- To provide educational opportunities which prepare students for graduation with baccalaureate and graduate degrees and for careers in music and music-related fields.
- To provide a variety of musical experiences and opportunities for the study of music for the general university student.
- To stimulate the creative participation of the music faculty in musical performance and composition, in scholarly research and in the personal quest for more effective methods of teaching.
- To enhance the musical growth in the region through public concerts on campus and in area communities and schools.
- To provide educational resources in support of professional growth for non-university students, professional performers and teachers and others concerned with the art and practice of music.
- To work cooperatively with other programs of the University in a supportive and mutually advantageous way.
- To develop a continuing exchange of ideas with artists and scholars, both in this country and abroad.