(Images above provided by Brian Munoz)
Special Announcement: COVID-19 & LIVE AUDITIONS FOR DAZZLERS AND COLOR GUARD
To contain the spread of COVID-19 and comply with the governor’s "stay-at-home" order, Dazzler and Color Guard live auditions normally scheduled to be held on campus have been cancelled. All Dazzler and Color Guard auditions for new members will take place via recorded submissions. (Brass, Woodwind and Percussion members do not audition.)
Learn more about Dazzler and Color Guard video auditions »
How to Join
Are you worried about the time commitment, concerned about costs, or not sure whether joining the band is the right decision for you?
Those who have marched in the band for a few years count their experience in the marching band as one of the most enriching and enjoyable times of their college life. The responsibility and dedication of being in the band is not easy, but the rewards of camaraderie and lifetime friendships are tremendous. Membership in the Marching Salukis is a good way to find your 'niche' in a large university. We believe we are a family, and we want you to become a member.
To start the process, complete the following steps:
- Read and familiarize yourself with the material found on the Information/FAQs section of the web page.
- Submit the online Request for Information form found here. This form puts you directly into our informational database, and allows us to keep you up-to-date on upcoming events, concerts, appearances, etc. If you are a high school junior or senior, this is especially important as you visit and investigate potential colleges.
- Although it is not required, you may want to schedule a campus visit to tour the SIU campus. While you're here, make an appointment to meet with Dr. Brozak and discuss various aspects of the band. Parents and family members are welcome to attend, too!
- Read about the audition process for the section of the band that interests you. This information is found below.
- Submit your application to Southern Illinois University. An online Application for Undergraduate Admissions can be found here.
Brass and Woodwind players are asked to perform a seating audition for part placement (held during the first day of band camp). This is used to help balance part assignments (Trumpet 1, 2, 3, Trombone 1, 2, etc.) throughout the group. It is NOT used to keep anyone from being a member of the band.
You will be asked 2 major scales and a chromatic scale (from your lowest note to your highest note). You will also be asked to perform a brief sight-reading example.
Percussionists will be sent a packet in late June/early July with warm-ups, exercises, cadences, etc. You will be asked to perform material from this packet for your audition, which will help determine your placement within the section. Auditions take place during the first day of band camp.
The Marching Salukis percussion section uses traditional grip on snare drum. Our drums (purchased in 2013) are manufactured by Pearl, and our cymbals are from Zildjian. Our sticks and mallets are from Innovative Percussion.
I. VIDEO AUDITION:
- Please submit a video performing a choreographed routine of approximately 10 - eight count sets.
- Wear comfortable clothing that allows you to freely move.
- You may use any music that you wish.
- You may use any routine that you wish, be it one you already know, or one you create on your own.
* You may choose to include rifle/saber work into your routine; but only flag work is mandatory.
The easiest method is to use the YouTube app for iPhone or Android. The app is FREE.
- When you launch the app, you will see 4 icons in the upper-right corner. Select the CAMERA icon.
- You will be presented with a very simple interface. Click the red button at the bottom to record.
- After you are satisfied with your video, you may “trim" the beginning or end of your video, if you wish.
- Give your video a title. Here, please type: YOUR NAME - 2021 SIU Color Guard audition (or YOUR NAME - 2021 SIU Dazzlers audition.)
- Under PRIVACY, please click “Unlisted” so the video can only be seen by those with whom you share your link.
- Click UPLOAD in the upper right corner of the screen to upload your video to YouTube.
- Copy the link to your video.
Once your video has been uploaded to YouTube, please visit the online form below and provide all requested information. At the end of the form, please paste the YouTube link to your video.
Videos will be viewed by the judging panel as soon as possible.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Dr. Brozak at: firstname.lastname@example.org
As the position within the band is unique, no specific audition date is set. Interested auditioners should contact Dr. Brozak to schedule an audition and interview date that works best with your schedule to visit campus.
Auditioners should plan to wear an appropriate twirling outfit (ie, contest wear, your high school uniform) and shoes. You should also prepare two routines (1 to 2 minutes in length) that showcase your skills and abilities. Please bring a CD or iPod with you that contains the musical selections for your routine. A sound system can be provided, or you may bring your own.
Please note we cannot accommodate fire baton routines.
On April 1st, the audition process for the 2021 Marching Salukis Drum Major position(s) will officially open. Those wishing to be considered will complete the following:
I. VIDEO INTERVIEW:
Record yourself explaining who you are, your background, and why you wish to be a Drum Major for the Marching Salukis. Submit this video to the URL via the linked online form below:
II. VIDEO PERFORMANCE:
Record yourself conducting to the mp3 which will be made available on April 1st. Submit this video via the same online form linked above.
All members of the Marching Salukis who have completed at least one year of membership are eligible to audition. Drum Majors are not automatically re-appointed.
On April 1st, the audition process for the 2021 Marching Salukis Section Leader(s)/Captain(s) position(s) will officially open. Those wishing to be considered will complete the following:
Record yourself explaining who you are, your background, and why you wish to be a Section Leader for the Marching Salukis. Submit this video to the URL via the linked online form here:
NEW this year: Returning members who were Section Leader(s) last year and wish to be considered again this year may do so without completing a video submission. You must notify me of your intention to be considered via the online form. (Section Leaders are not automatically re-appointed.)
All members of the Marching Salukis, regardless of major, who have completed at least one year of membership are eligible to interview.