The applicant must meet all Graduate School requirements for entry.
The "Apply Yourself" Online Process
Complete the online Application for Admission to Graduate Study. Upon completion, the form will be automatically sent to the Graduate School. Use the following guide to help you through the sections of the application and be sure to upload all required documents into their appropriate section.
- Enter your personal information, no uploads are required in this section.
Public Safety Questions:
- If the answer is yes, it is required that court records be uploaded.
- Enter financial information as part of the online application.
- During the application process, please upload copies of your transcripts from each junior college, university, graduate, and/or professional school you have attended. Upon acceptance, official transcripts will need to be sent from the granting institution directly to the Department of Geography (see complete address below). Copies of transcripts can be uploaded during application completion, but official transcripts must be sent to the department by the Registrar.
- Although it is not required for admission, it is strongly advised that you provide a score from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or other comparable standardized test. However, the GRE is required if applying for a Graduate School Fellowship.
Personal Statement and Interests:
- The application process will prompt you to enter a personal statement as well as a statement of your research interests and experiences, and a copy of your resume/vita.
Letters of Recommendation:
- Input three names and email addresses for faculty members who are acquainted with your education capabilities and potentials. Each person will receive an email requesting that they submit an evaluation along with directions to complete the online rating sheet and any additional information. Evaluations can be completed online or evaluators can print the forms and mail them to us at the address below. Please note that as an applicant you may waive your right to examine the recommendation letters.
- The non-waivable application fee of $65.00 will need to be submitted prior to completing your application. Online payment by credit card is available (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express).
- Applications will not be processed until this fee is received. It may not be waived.
- Submit application only after all uploads have been made. You will not be able to upload documents once your application has been submitted. Documents not uploaded can be mailed to us at the address below.
For full consideration, applications are due January 1 for the following fall semester.
Consideration of applications for a graduate fellowship will begin on January 15. Applications should be complete which includes the $65.00 application fee, all forms, transcripts, references, and photocopy of TOEFL and passport page (if from a non-English speaking country). Every applicant is considered for fellowships and graduate assistantships and will be notified by April 15 of the department's decision.
Any documents not uploaded while completing the application can be mailed to the Geography Department:
Graduate Program Director
Department of Geography and Environmental Resources
Faner Hall Room 4520 - Mail Code 4514
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
1000 Faner Drive
Carbondale, IL 62901