Frequently Asked Questions
- Will I be able to get a job after graduation?
- How many credit hours does the English Major require?
- Can I get credit for courses I have taken at other universities and community colleges?
- If I take English courses at a community college, which ones are more likely to be transferred to the English Major at SIU Carbondale?
- Can I tailor the English Major to fit my needs and career goals?
- Can I go on to graduate school?
- Is the English Major accredited?
- Can I get help in deciding on courses and career options?
- If I choose the Teacher Education Preparation specialization can I still get a Bachelor of Arts through the College Of Liberal Arts?
- Are there scholarships I can apply for?
- Can I get to know other English majors?
- Can you provide more resources that discuss the benefits of becoming an English major or minor?
Questions and Answers
Answer: Yes! See What Can I Do with an English Major.
Answer: SIU Carbondale requires 120 credit hours total for the Bachelor degree.
Answer: Yes! Bring your transcripts and any course syllabi or catalog description to your first advisement meeting with the Director. He/She will try to match our courses to courses you have already taken.
Answer: We can usually transfer the following courses:
- Survey of English Literature (earlier)
- Survey of English Literature (later)
- Survey of American Literature (earlier)
- Survey of American Literature (later)
Answer: Yes! Our major fully prepares you to go on to graduate studies in English in Master's, Master of Fine Arts (Creative Writing), and PhD Programs. We offer all three programs in our English Department.
Answer: Yes! Our English Major is fully accredited by the Illinois Board of Higher Education.
Answer: Yes! Our Undergraduate Director is Dr. Joe Shapiro. He will help you with courses, specializations, and career decisions.
Answer: Yes! You are first and foremost an English Major, and we prefer you to go through the College of Liberal Arts. You are also eligible for College of Liberal Arts scholarships.
Answer: Yes! The English Department has three funds available to Junior and Senior English Majors. This year we awarded a total of 26 scholarships at $500 each and 4 at $1000 each. The College of Liberal Arts also has a number of scholarships available to English majors.
Answer: Yes! We have three clubs open to English majors and minors: The English Club, The Preprofessional Club, and Sigma Tau Delta.
Answer: Yes! Check out the following online resources: