The Art Education Program in the School of Art and Design at Southern Illinois University Carbondale is a vibrant and active educational community for students with strong connections to regional, state, and national art education opportunities.
The Art Education Program serves an undergraduate enrollment of approximately 25 students who can complete the following:
- A Bachelor of Fine Arts with an Art Education emphasis (120 hours), which leads toward licensure to teach
- An Art Education minor, which consists of 18 credit hours in addition to work in another major area of emphasis. The course work is completed as a combination of studio and art education course work.
Courses in Art Education
*AD 208: Introduction to Art Education: What is it like to be an art teacher in the school system and in community settings?
*AD 318: Curriculum Building: How do I create lessons and plan units for all age levels and diverse learners?
*AD 308: Philosophies, Trends, and Professional Practices in Art Education: What do I need to know to develop my own philosophy of teaching and to be on the edge of current trends in ArtED?
**AD 328: Artistic Growth of the Child: What do elementary learners need from an art program and how do I develop methods to teach at this age level?
**AD 338: Artistic Growth of the Adolescent and Adult: What do adolescents and adults need from an art program and how do I develop methods to teach at this age level?
*You can take these classes before you get into the Art Education Program.
**You can take these when you are in your Teacher Education Program
Opportunities for Future Art Teachers
- Saturday Young Artists’ Workshop each semester for six Saturday mornings
- An active student RSO Chapter in Art Education
- Frequent lectures and workshops with nationally known art educators in the field
- A strong regional conference hosted in Southern Illinois
- A growing list of opportunities to go out and teach an art activity in the community
- Exhibition in the Vergette Gallery
- Partnership with The University Museum
For more information
- Advising: Valerie Brooks email@example.com
- Program Coordinator: Jody Paulson firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Art Education Program: Jody Paulson email@example.com
- Saturday Young Artists Workshop: Jody Paulson firstname.lastname@example.org
- RSO Association of Art Education Students: President Lindsey Phillips email@example.com
- Teacher Education Preparation (TEP) Program: ehs.siu.edu/tep.
- Learn more about our undergraduate program in Art Education in our brochure.
School of Art & Design
Office Location: 6B
Southern Illinois university Carbondale
Carbondale, IL 62901
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Art Education Specialization
The School of Art and Design offers both a BFA and a BA with an art education emphasis. Each program is designed to meet the Illinois standards for teacher licensure in art education.
Submission Deadline: Ongoing
For More Information
Program Coordinator contact:
School of Art and Design
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Carbondale IL 62901
Phone: 618 453-7765
Fax: 618 453-7710