The Allyn Building, opened in 1908 and located in the historic central quadrangle of the SIU campus, houses the central administrative and advisement offices of the School as well as the Art Education and Art History programs, the Visual Resource Center, Drawing and Painting studios and an extensive Printmaking facility. Art Education and Art History are taught here in classrooms equipped for digital as well as analog projection of both still and moving images and provide Internet access.
The Vergette Gallery can also be found in this building. It is a naturally lit space of over 400 square feet available to students in the School of Art and Design. Recently renovated, the gallery is named for Nicholas Vergette (1923-1974), a renowned ceramic artist and educator who taught at SIU from 1960 to 1974.