The following is a list of the requirements for the graduate application:
- Application (we are now accepting only the online version)
- Official Transcripts from 'all' the universities, colleges, junior colleges, etc. that the student has attended
- Three letters of recommendation uploaded online by person who recommends, or sent on letterhead
- Writing Sample
- Personal Statement (1-2 pages)
- GRE scores are generally required, though the applicant may request the Director of Graduate Studies to waive them if special reasons apply. GRE's are necessary, however, if the applicant wishes to be considered for a Fellowship or Assistantship.
- $65.00 processing fee (check or money order made out to Southern Illinois University) or paid online
- International Students must also supply: TOEFL (550 or better - 80 computer based) or IELTS (6.5 or better) Financial Statement
Special Note: If you have, or expect to have when you begin classes, a Master's Degree, you will be applying to the Ph.D. program. If you have, or expect to have a Bachelor's degree, you will be applying to the Master's program. While we certainly hope that you will wish to stay to get your Ph.D., applying for the Ph.D. without a Master's Degree just creates confusion. Also, if you are applying for Fellowships, remember this applies to those as well
Anytime you wish to know the status of your application, you need only return to the site where you filled out the online application. As information is received in the department, it is logged in there, by the Graduate Studies Secretary.
A lot of people call and send e-mails, requesting information on specific deadlines for application to the program. Here is what you need to know regarding said:
- Unless you are applying for a Fellowship (see Financial Aid, below), or an Assistantship, you need not have all your application material in until mid to late Spring (for Fall semester) or mid Fall (for Spring semester).
- If you ARE applying for either of these, you need to have your information in to the department (for Fellowships) by no later than the end of December or (for Assistantships) no later than the end of January. While Fellowships are granted for the Fall Semester, the decisions as to who will receive them is made early in the Spring Semester. There are no Fellowships offered any other time of year. If you are beginning in the Spring, it is unlikely that there will be Assistantships available either.
- GRE scores are recommended, but you need only take the GRE if you plan to apply for either a Fellowship or an Assistantship.
ALL MATERIAL is to be sent to the following Address or uploaded on ApplyYourself with your application:
Graduate Studies Secretary
Department of Philosophy
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
980 Faner Drive, Room 3065, Mail Code 4505
Carbondale, Illinois 62901
If you have any other questions, contact the Graduate Studies Secretary at:
E-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org