Southern Illinois Piano Festival
October 14-18, 2017
Southern Illinois Piano Festival aims to provide and promote classical music education opportunities through the medium of piano to young students in the community as well as SIU piano students, through masterclasses and clinics as well as solo and two-piano recitals during an exciting 5 day period, comprised of 4 concerts, 3 masterclasses and 2 clinics. Concerts and masterclasses are free and open to the public. (Click here for downloadable event poster PDF.)
Guest Pianists Nina Ferrigno from Washington University in St. Louis and Sandro Russo from New York will join SIU Piano Faculty Artists Yuko Kato and Junghwa Lee for Clinics, Masterclasses, Solo and Duo Piano Recitals on SIU Carbondale Campus.
Saturday, October 14 through Wednesday, October 18, 2017
Saturday, October 14
- Festival Registration, OBF front lobby, 5:30-6:00pm
- Junghwa Lee Faculty Solo Piano Recital, OBF Recital Hall, 6:00pm
Sunday, October 15
- Piano Clinic by Dr. Kato, Altgeld 110, from 1:30pm
- Piano Clinic by Dr. Lee, Altgeld 201, from 1:30pm
Monday, October 16
- Dr. Junghwa Lee Masterclass, for Carbondale piano students chosen from Clinic, OBF Recital Hall, 4:15-5:15pm
- Nina Ferrigno and Yuko Kato Two-Piano Recital, Shryock Auditorium, 5:30pm
Tuesday, October 17
- Dr. Yuko Kato Masterclass, for Carbondale piano students chosen from Clinic, OBF Recital Hall, 3:45-4:45pm
- Mr. Sandro Russo Guest Masterclass, for SIU students, OBF Recital Hall, 5:00-7:00pm
Wednesday, October 18
- Festival Student Recital, OBF Recital Hall, 5:00pm
- Sandro Russo Guest Piano Recital, OBF Recital Hall, 7:30pm
To register for the clinic, students in levels 3 (Elementary Class I, II) and up (or lower levels with teacher's discretion) must send either a piano solo registration form (PDF) with piano teacher's approval and comments to pinpoint problem areas or focal points (if any), along with registration fee ($10 for 15 minute clinic for 1 piece; $20 for 30 minute clinic for 2 pieces), or a piano 4-hands/ensemble registration form (PDF) along with registration fee ($15 for 20 minute clinic per group); please write checks payable to SIU with SI Piano Festival in the memo line; please send checks to Dr. Junghwa Lee, SI Piano Festival Director, School of Music, Mail Code 4302, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL 62901, postmarked by October 5th to guarantee your spot. Walk in registration is also available on the opening day, October 14, between 5:30 and 6 PM in OBF front lobby, but availability may be limited.
All concerts and masterclasses are free admission and open to the public. Piano Festival participants (students in clinic and/or masterclasses) receive a stamp for attending each concert, and whoever receives all 4 stamps will get a 10% discount for SIU Piano Camp enrollment fee the following year (July 15-20, 2018).
For questions, please contact Southern Illinois Piano Festival Director, Dr. Junghwa Lee at email@example.com.