Altgeld Hall was the second building constructed at Southern Illinois University Carbondale and now is the oldest remaining building on the campus. The 39th Illinois General Assembly appropriated $40,000 for the construction of what was then called the Old Science Building.
Gov. John P. Altgeld approved the legislation on June 7, 1895. About a year and a half later, on December 22, 1896, the building was dedicated in Gov. Altgeld’s name and became home to the science library, laboratories for the departments of physics, chemistry and biology and a gymnasium facility. In Fall of 2004, the School of Music moved back into a completely renovated facility after an $11 million and almost three year project.
Photos provided by: White and Borgognoni Architects, and Southern Illinois Photographer Daniel Overturf.
Altgeld Hall West Entrance
Choral Rehearsal Room
Band/Orchestra Rehearsal Hall
Jazz Ensemble Rehearsal Hall
Opera and Music Theater Rehearsal Hall
Let's wander the halls and see what we find!
South Courtyard Area
Virtual Rehearsal Room Tour
You can visit SIU's virtual tour page of the large rehearsal studio here by choosing "Altgeld Hall" and clicking on "Photos". Choose the circular arrow for a 360-degree look at our Altgeld rehearsal facility.