Are you worried about the time commitment, concerned about costs, or not sure whether joining the band is the right decision for you?
Those who have marched in the band for a few years count their experience in the marching band as one of the most enriching and enjoyable times of their college life. The responsibility and dedication of being in the band is not easy, but the rewards of camaraderie and lifetime friendships are tremendous. Membership in the Marching Salukis is a good way to find your 'niche' in a large university. We believe we are a family, and we want you to become a member.
To start the process, complete the following steps:
- Read and familiarize yourself with the material found on the Information/FAQs section of the web page.
- Submit the online Request for Information form found here. This form puts you directly into our informational database, and allows us to keep you up-to-date on upcoming events, concerts, appearances, etc. If you are a high school junior or senior, this is especially important as you visit and investigate potential colleges.
- Although it is not required, you may want to schedule a campus visit to tour the SIU campus. While you're here, make an appointment to meet with Dr. Brozak and discuss various aspects of the band. Parents and family members are welcome to attend, too!
- Read about the audition process for the section of the band that interests you. This information is found below.
- Submit your application to Southern Illinois University. An online Application for Undergraduate Admissions can be found here.
Brass and Woodwind players are asked to perform a seating audition for part placement (held during the first day of band camp). This is used to help balance part assignments (Trumpet 1, 2, 3, Trombone 1, 2, etc.) throughout the group. It is NOT used to keep anyone from being a member of the band.
You will be asked 2 major scales and a chromatic scale (from your lowest note to your highest note). You will also be asked to perform a brief sight-reading example.
Percussionists will be sent a packet in late June/early July with warm-ups, exercises, cadences, etc. You will be asked to perform material from this packet for your audition, which will help determine your placement within the section. Auditions take place during the first day of band camp.
The Marching Salukis percussion section uses traditional grip on snare drum. Our drums (purchased in 2013) are manufactured by Pearl, and our cymbals are from Zildjian. Our sticks and mallets are from Innovative Percussion.
COLOR GUARD AUDITIONS
Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:00 AM - Altgeld 112
No prepared routine is required for the auditions. Students do not need to bring their own flags to the audition, but you are welcome to do so. Please complete the application form (see below) and bring it with you to the audition.
For additional information, contact Dr. Brozak.
Join the Saluki Dazzlers!
DANCE TEAM AUDITIONS
Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:00 AM - Altgeld 116
During the audition, candidates are taught a dance routine and asked to perform examples of dance moves. Please complete the application form (see below) and bring it with you to the audition.
For more information, please contact Dr. Brozak.
FEATURE TWIRLER AUDITIONS
The Marching Salukis have enjoyed a long tradition of outstanding twirlers.
As the position within the band is unique, no specific audition date is set. Interested auditioners should contact Dr. Brozak to schedule an audition and interview date that works best with your schedule to visit campus.
Auditioners should plan to wear an appropriate twirling outfit (ie, contest wear, your high school uniform) and shoes. You should also prepare two routines (1 to 2 minutes in length) that showcase your skills and abilities. Please bring a CD or iPod with you that contains the musical selections for your routine. A sound system can be provided, or you may bring your own.
Please note we cannot accommodate fire baton routines.
DRUM MAJOR AUDITIONS
- Interview: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 - Time arranged - Altgeld 118C
- Conducting Audition: Tuesday, May 2, 2017 - 3:30 PM - Altgeld 112
Drum majors must have marched in the Marching Salukis for at least one season preceding the audition.
Auditions will consist of two parts. A formal interview will take place with Dr. Brozak on Tuesday (sign-up times will be available in early April). After the interview, an evaluation of conducting technique will take place during Symphonic Band rehearsal. On Tuesday, an evaluation of teaching and marching skills will take place at Saluki Stadium. Forms for the audition process and other details may be found below.
SECTION & SQUAD LEADERS
Thursday, May 4 and Friday, May 5, 2017 - Time arranged - Altgeld 118C
Section & Squad leaders are selected by the Marching Band Director. There is no audition process; but there will be an interview for those interested in being considered for the position.