SIU Guitar Festival 2017 (4th edition)
Dr. Eric Lenz – Director of the School of Music
Artistic Director of the Festival – Dr. Isaac Lausell
November 10th & 11th
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Sponsored by the SIU Fine Arts Activity Fee (FAAF)
Message from Dr. Lausell
Welcome to the 4th edition of the SIU Guitar Festival. We have an exciting line up of artists, concerts and workshops ahead of us. There is something for everyone whether you are just a music lover seeking to enjoy stellar performances or if you are an inquisitive guitar disciple looking to take the next step, we thought of you!
Our headliner is professor Moacyr Teixeira Neto, one of the most beloved artists of the guitar in Brazil and South America. We are honored to be hosting the North American release of Teixeira’s latest album titled “Over the time”, featuring the music of famed Italian-Brazilian composer Marcus Vinícius.
We are also honored to have Dr. Zvonimir Tot returning to SIU. Dr. Tot will be presenting his latest book “Jazz Guitar Harmony; The Melodic Approach” published by Jamey Aebersold Jazz. My trio and I will be joining Dr. Tot for the opening gala concert of the festival. If you think you like jazz guitar wait till you hear two!
Since its inception the SIU Guitar Festival brings out artists from all over the world providing us with tremendous cultural enrichment experiences. At a time when a few have forgotten that our strength as a nation lies within the diversity of our people activities such as our festival are quite necessary. We stand as a testimony of who we are and the things we hold dear such as knowledge, music, camaraderie and our brethren within this blue marvel called Earth.
Wayne Goodwin –Percussion & Drum set
Prof. Phil Brown – Bass/composition
Dr. Isaac Lausell – Artistic Director (Classical & Jazz Guitar/Composition)
Prof. Moacyr Teixeira Neto (Classical Guitar and arranging)
Dr. Christopher Walczak – Composer
Gregory Wendt – Photo-Video-Artist
Dr. Zvonimir Tot – Jazz Guitar & composition
Costs & Registration
- 2-day pass plus opening Gala – Includes admission to all the concerts, lectures and master classes during the entire festival - $62.
- 1-day pass - Includes admission to all the concerts, lectures and master classes for the festival on either 11/10/2017 or 11/11/2017 - $25.00
- Single event pass – This is good for a single admission to a master class, a lecture or a recital. $12.00 - general audience/ $6 students.
- ALL EVENTS are free to students, faculty and staff of the SIU School of Music.
- Moacyr Teixeira Neto’s master class and recital on 11/11/2017 is sponsored by the SIU Fine Arts Activity Fee therefore it is free to students, faculty and staff of SIUC with an SIU ID. We require the ID to be presented at the door for admission.
- The last day for registration is November 1st. Late-registration for the 2-day pass plus opening Gala $72.00 and $35.00 for the one-day pass.
- We have special rates for schools that wish to attend. Contact Dr. Lausell for more information at email@example.com
To register send us a check and make it to “Southern Illinois University”. Specify in the memo line at the bottom that it is for the “SIU Guitar Festival” and fill up the provided form specifying the event you are registering for. Send it to:
Southern Illinois University — School of Music
1000 South Normal Avenue
Carbondale, IL 62901
Registration Form (pdf) »
For questions regarding the festival and the guitar program at Southern Illinois University Carbondale send us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
For other inquiries:
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
1000 South Normal Ave
Carbondale, Illinois 62901
Donations and sponsorship
We have opportunities for local and national business and enterprises interested in sponsoring the guitar festival. For more detailed information of the levels of sponsorship, contact Dr. Isaac Lausell at email@example.com