International Students | Geography | SIU
- Request the registrar of each junior college, university, graduate and professional school you have attended to send an official transcript directly to the department. Unofficial or personal transcripts are not acceptable. Photocopies are accepted only if they bear an original official school seal and are received by the department in an officially-sealed envelope. Copies of transcripts can be uploaded during application completion, but official transcripts must be sent to the department by the Registrar.
- International students currently in the US: Photocopies of the original transcript/diploma documents submitted from the applicant's current school will be acceptable if:
- The applicant is currently in a school in the US.
- The photocopies are certified as copies of originals which the school has in their files.
- The certified copies are sent by the Registrar's Office, an International Student Advisor, or a Record's Officer.
Test Scores - English Language Requirement:
- If you are admitted, the Graduate School will require official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or IELTS test scores be sent directly to the Graduate School from the testing agency. Applicants may upload a student copy, but the official copy will still be required. The graduate school now accepts the Cambridge Language Exam (CAE) C-1 level and above. C-1 level is equivalent to a 550 paper-based TOEFL.
- A TOEFL is required of all international students whose native language is not English. A minimum TOEFL score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), and 80 (Internet-based) is required. The IELTS exam is also acceptable. A minimum IELTS score of 6.5 is required for Graduate School admission.
- English Language Requirement for International Students in the US:
- An applicant who has recently completed at least 100 semester hours of graded course work in the US before enrolling as a graduate student at SIUC has met the language requirement.
- An applicant with less than 100 semester hours of graded course work in the US before enrolling as a graduate student at SIUC needs a TOEFL score of at least 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), and 80 (Internet-based). The current school you are attending must send a copy of the TOEFL score with a certification that it is a copy of an original which they have in their files. As long as enrollment in the US has been continuous, this will meet the language requirement.
- Complete a Financial Statement as part of the online application or at http://gradschool.siu.edu/_common/documents/InternationalFinance.pdf. Upload only page 2 of this form. The Graduate School will not process an application without a completed Financial Statement.
- Upload a copy of the page in your passport that lists your name and date of birth. This must be received before an I-20 can be issued (this can be uploaded while completing the application).