Application for Graduate Study
Completion Options for Application
Complete an application online:
- Applications may be completed online. There is a $50 fee for applications which may be paid by credit card.
Complete on paper and mail:
- You may fill out a paper application form and mail the form (original plus two photocopies) with a personal check, cashier's check, or money order for $50, made out to SIU Carbondale and payable to a U.S. bank. paper applications and payments should be mailed to the Graduate Secretary, Department of Anthropology -- MC4502, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale IL 62901.
We begin making admission and funding decisions at the start of January. We need your COMPLETE admissions packet AND your fellowship/assistantship application materials in time to consider you for possible sources of funding.
We continue to accept applications for admission until March 1st. However, applications received after Dec 15 will not be eligible for most potential sources of funding.
The Graduate School offers several fellowships and assistantships, with varying eligibility requirements. We encourage all applicants to examine the Fellowship descriptions for: Doctoral Fellowship, Masters Fellowship, Graduate Dean’s Fellowship, and PROMPT Assistantship. If you believe you are eligible for any of these, you must fill out the fellowship/assistantship application forms and send them to the Anthropology Department by December 15. Our decision on admission is independent of whether you apply for one of these fellowships or assistantships.
Students are normally admitted to begin only in fall semester. Rare exceptions can be made for doctoral students.
Applicants must meet all Graduate School requirements for entry, and must fill out the online application. Also, send the following directly to the department addressed to: Graduate Secretary, Department of Anthropology - 4502, 1000 Faner Dr. Room 3527, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale IL 62901. If you do not have the (free) Adobe Reader program required to view and print many of these files, Adobe Reader is available here.
- Departmental application for financial aid form
- Personal and Professional data form
- Certified copies of all transcripts*
- A statement of academic and professional goals
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores, required for all U.S. applicants and strongly recommended for international applicants
*Every applicant must have an official transcript sent directly to the department from every undergraduate and graduate institution where courses have been taken.
Additional Requirements for International Students (see also International Programs and Services)
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for international applicants whose native language is not English*
- Financial Statement for Graduate International Students may be required by the Graduate School
- Please read the Graduate School instructions for international applicants. Applicants must include a photocopy of your passport with your application, and the name on your application must match the name on the passport.
*Applicants whose native language is not English must achieve a TOEFL score of 600 or higher (paper version), 250 or higher (computer-based version), or 100 or higher (internet exam) in order to gain admittance in the program. The minimum IELTS score is 7.
All necessary forms will be provided to applicants by the Department. No special program or previous work is required. Applicants with academic degrees in fields other than anthropology are encouraged to apply.